The Forest of Dean Camera Club started life as The Cinderford Camera Club, formed in October 1944 when a group of photographers decided to meet regularly in the old Mining and Technical School in Cinderford in Gloucestershire, under the presidency of Mr W J George, headmaster of the local school. 1946 saw the inaugural meeting of the Lydney Camera Club at the Lydney Art School premises.
Eventually in 1958 the two clubs combined with meetings held in Steam Mills and the name of the club changed to the current title: The Forest of Dean Camera Club.
For many years an annual exhibition of prints and slides was held on the occasion of the annual dinner held at The Feathers Hotel in Lydney. This developed until the first public exhibition was held in the Church Room, Lydney in 1969 continuing in various public venues until 1995.
Now, the Forest of Dean Camera Club meets at Viney Hill St. Swithins Sports and Social Club and has modern facilities to allow us to show prints and digital images. Our members come from all areas of the Forest of Dean, are a variety of ages and hold a number of different photographic interests.